Hunt loopholes

First published in Letters by

Once again, reports of Boxing Day hunts treat us to chocolate box portrayals of gangs whose real intent and desire is to terrorise and slaughter wildlife for fun.

The recent Heythrop convictions – forced into admitting 12 charges of illegal hunting – are far from the first where the hunts’ contention that they just follow trails and suffer occasional accidents has been exposed as a sham.

Hunts nationwide employ ruses and exploit loopholes to continue hunting live quarry much as before the ban, and bamboozle police forces, usually reluctant anyway, into not acting against them.

In previous recent cases – the Fernie in 2011, the Crawley & Horsham and the Meynell this year – the presiding judges saw through their flimsy pretences and condemned the evidence they gave as the “cynical subterfuge” it was.

But the Heythrop judge barely criticised the self-confessed offenders at all, making his pro-hunt sympathies evident, and notably failed to praise the brave and dedicated volunteer monitors who did the police’s job in exposing the hunt’s repeated law-breaking.

The Hunting Act was passed with overwhelming public support. People expect the law against the cruel chasing and killing of wild mammals for “sport” to be upheld.

Somebody has to stand up for decency and the rule of law, to defend the defenceless.

The police will rarely do it, and the media are largely compliant with hunters’ lies.

Thank goodness for the monitors and the RSPCA.

Alan Kirby, Protect Our Wild Animals Hayle, Cornwall

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:45am Thu 27 Dec 12

jorvik says...

"The Hunting Act was passed with overwhelming public support"

I thought it was minorities who get all the rights in todays Britain,you know with gays wanting to marry,muslims getting priorities for council houses,so on.So surely these hunts people should be able to carry on with there minority sport
"The Hunting Act was passed with overwhelming public support" I thought it was minorities who get all the rights in todays Britain,you know with gays wanting to marry,muslims getting priorities for council houses,so on.So surely these hunts people should be able to carry on with there minority sport jorvik
  • Score: 0

11:17am Thu 27 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

I would be far more impressed with the RSPCA if they tackled the cruel method of slaughter called Halal.

I would be even more impressed if our government gave the matter more than a passing glimpse.

But we dont want to upset any voters do we, especially the ones who brought this cruel method to our shores.
I would be far more impressed with the RSPCA if they tackled the cruel method of slaughter called Halal. I would be even more impressed if our government gave the matter more than a passing glimpse. But we dont want to upset any voters do we, especially the ones who brought this cruel method to our shores. capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

11:56am Thu 27 Dec 12

Red Star says...

Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?
Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'? Red Star
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Thu 27 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

Red Star wrote:
Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!.
I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm.
Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.
[quote][p][bold]Red Star[/bold] wrote: Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?[/p][/quote]Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!. I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm. Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something. capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

1:39pm Thu 27 Dec 12

CynicaloldGit says...

Yes Capt.......it's an old ploy, if you haven't got an answer, pick up on spelling and grammar thus making it seem that the person is so stupid their opinion is worthless.
Trolls is wot they is........ trolls
Yes Capt.......it's an old ploy, if you haven't got an answer, pick up on spelling and grammar thus making it seem that the person is so stupid their opinion is worthless. Trolls is wot they is........ trolls CynicaloldGit
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Thu 27 Dec 12

twotonethomas says...

capt spaulding wrote:
Red Star wrote:
Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!.
I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm.
Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.
And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter.

Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?
[quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Star[/bold] wrote: Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?[/p][/quote]Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!. I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm. Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.[/p][/quote]And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter. Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned? twotonethomas
  • Score: 0

3:09pm Thu 27 Dec 12

twotonethomas says...

Back to the subject in point.

I say bring on the vote to repeal the ban, for the simple reason that parliament will not only reconfirm the law but will actually amend the law to close the loopholes.

My suggestions would be, a ban on any animal based scents being used on the drag. Hounds will happily chase aniseed.

A large cut in the number of hounds allowed, a pack in single figures will suffice.

A ban on flushing to guns, or birds of prey

And finally a closing of the accidental killing loophole.
Back to the subject in point. I say bring on the vote to repeal the ban, for the simple reason that parliament will not only reconfirm the law but will actually amend the law to close the loopholes. My suggestions would be, a ban on any animal based scents being used on the drag. Hounds will happily chase aniseed. A large cut in the number of hounds allowed, a pack in single figures will suffice. A ban on flushing to guns, or birds of prey And finally a closing of the accidental killing loophole. twotonethomas
  • Score: 0

3:26pm Thu 27 Dec 12

jorvik says...

twotonethomas wrote:
capt spaulding wrote:
Red Star wrote:
Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!.
I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm.
Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.
And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter.

Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?
Jews don't try to force the majority to eat religiously slaughtered animals,and you should be very careful stereotyping muslims,they don't like it
[quote][p][bold]twotonethomas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Star[/bold] wrote: Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?[/p][/quote]Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!. I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm. Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.[/p][/quote]And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter. Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?[/p][/quote]Jews don't try to force the majority to eat religiously slaughtered animals,and you should be very careful stereotyping muslims,they don't like it jorvik
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Thu 27 Dec 12

twotonethomas says...

jorvik wrote:
twotonethomas wrote:
capt spaulding wrote:
Red Star wrote:
Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!.
I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm.
Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.
And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter.

Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?
Jews don't try to force the majority to eat religiously slaughtered animals,and you should be very careful stereotyping muslims,they don't like it
How did I stereotype anyone?

And how do muslims force anyone to eat religiously slaughtered animals? Or are you just stereotyping?
[quote][p][bold]jorvik[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]twotonethomas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Star[/bold] wrote: Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?[/p][/quote]Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!. I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm. Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.[/p][/quote]And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter. Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?[/p][/quote]Jews don't try to force the majority to eat religiously slaughtered animals,and you should be very careful stereotyping muslims,they don't like it[/p][/quote]How did I stereotype anyone? And how do muslims force anyone to eat religiously slaughtered animals? Or are you just stereotyping? twotonethomas
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Thu 27 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

twotonethomas wrote:
capt spaulding wrote:
Red Star wrote:
Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!.
I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm.
Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.
And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter.

Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?
My point in bringing in the Halal cruel slaughter method was merely to emphasise the crass hypocrisy of the situation and to your point i say Yes it should apply to Kosher.
[quote][p][bold]twotonethomas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Star[/bold] wrote: Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?[/p][/quote]Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!. I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm. Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.[/p][/quote]And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter. Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?[/p][/quote]My point in bringing in the Halal cruel slaughter method was merely to emphasise the crass hypocrisy of the situation and to your point i say Yes it should apply to Kosher. capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

4:34pm Thu 27 Dec 12

twotonethomas says...

Thanks for your reasoned reply capt spaulding.

Whilst I want to stick to the subject of loopholes in the hunting act, I must ask you this.

Do you believe that the regular flouting of the law on humane slaughter should be stopped and the law enforced (religious slaughter only for those whom practice their traditional lifestyle), should the law be tightened even more (perhaps a total ban), or should the law be repealed (as it's not worth the police time)?
Thanks for your reasoned reply capt spaulding. Whilst I want to stick to the subject of loopholes in the hunting act, I must ask you this. Do you believe that the regular flouting of the law on humane slaughter should be stopped and the law enforced (religious slaughter only for those whom practice their traditional lifestyle), should the law be tightened even more (perhaps a total ban), or should the law be repealed (as it's not worth the police time)? twotonethomas
  • Score: 0

5:34pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Red Star says...

"i" should be with a capital 'I'; trolls is wot they is.....
"i" should be with a capital 'I'; trolls is wot they is..... Red Star
  • Score: 0

5:54pm Thu 27 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

twotonethomas wrote:
Thanks for your reasoned reply capt spaulding.

Whilst I want to stick to the subject of loopholes in the hunting act, I must ask you this.

Do you believe that the regular flouting of the law on humane slaughter should be stopped and the law enforced (religious slaughter only for those whom practice their traditional lifestyle), should the law be tightened even more (perhaps a total ban), or should the law be repealed (as it's not worth the police time)?
We shouldnt have to marginalise, its just plain wrong in any language or creed or religion to be cruel to any animals.
[quote][p][bold]twotonethomas[/bold] wrote: Thanks for your reasoned reply capt spaulding. Whilst I want to stick to the subject of loopholes in the hunting act, I must ask you this. Do you believe that the regular flouting of the law on humane slaughter should be stopped and the law enforced (religious slaughter only for those whom practice their traditional lifestyle), should the law be tightened even more (perhaps a total ban), or should the law be repealed (as it's not worth the police time)?[/p][/quote]We shouldnt have to marginalise, its just plain wrong in any language or creed or religion to be cruel to any animals. capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

6:07pm Thu 27 Dec 12

twotonethomas says...

I couldn't agree more capt spaulding, unfortunately those that are cruel to animals, hunters, gamekeepers, vivisectors, farmers or even muslims are the last to admit that what they do is cruel. And are usually the first to tell you to campaign against someone else's cruelty.
I couldn't agree more capt spaulding, unfortunately those that are cruel to animals, hunters, gamekeepers, vivisectors, farmers or even muslims are the last to admit that what they do is cruel. And are usually the first to tell you to campaign against someone else's cruelty. twotonethomas
  • Score: 0

7:04pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Buzz Light-year says...

Not since I was at school has anyone forced me or anyone I know to eat any kind of food, Halal Kosher or otherwise.

Can we add supermarket agribusiness meat factories to the cruel list?
Not since I was at school has anyone forced me or anyone I know to eat any kind of food, Halal Kosher or otherwise. Can we add supermarket agribusiness meat factories to the cruel list? Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

11:05pm Thu 27 Dec 12

last of the mandms says...

Halal and Kosher may be cruel but at least they eat the outcome; the unspeakable ...................
Halal and Kosher may be cruel but at least they eat the outcome; the unspeakable ................... last of the mandms
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Fri 28 Dec 12

fear your government says...

"anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of worthless human lives"


albert schweitzer.


says it all really.
"anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of worthless human lives" albert schweitzer. says it all really. fear your government
  • Score: 0

5:08pm Fri 28 Dec 12

CynicaloldGit says...

twotonethomas wrote:
capt spaulding wrote:
Red Star wrote:
Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!.
I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm.
Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.
And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter.

Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?
Could be a good point TTT.

However, the answer is simple to Halal and Kosher. When those laws were given, to both the nation of Israel and carried on by Ishmael, Abrahams son by Hagar who became father to the non jewish nations about, there wasn't a cleaner way of killing an animal other than by a razor sharp knife and bleeding the beast.
Now of course, we still slit the throats of beasts and bleed them, but they are stunned first, or they are supposed to be, because I have heard tales to the contrary.
So Halal and Kosher are simply religios tradition and maybe should change as they meat is still hung and bled
[quote][p][bold]twotonethomas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Star[/bold] wrote: Like the minority sport of those who cannot spell 'their'?[/p][/quote]Thank you for your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate!. I look forward to your next comment with great enthusiasm. Hopefully it will have more than ten words and actually contribute something.[/p][/quote]And your valuable contribution to the hunt loophole debate, consisted of bringing up halal slaughter. Please explain the relevance of halal slaughter to the loopholes in the hunting ban. Oh and could you also please explain why people who bring up cruel religious slaughter never mention kosher.Is it because jews are predominantly white whilst muslims are predominantly dark skinned?[/p][/quote]Could be a good point TTT. However, the answer is simple to Halal and Kosher. When those laws were given, to both the nation of Israel and carried on by Ishmael, Abrahams son by Hagar who became father to the non jewish nations about, there wasn't a cleaner way of killing an animal other than by a razor sharp knife and bleeding the beast. Now of course, we still slit the throats of beasts and bleed them, but they are stunned first, or they are supposed to be, because I have heard tales to the contrary. So Halal and Kosher are simply religios tradition and maybe should change as they meat is still hung and bled CynicaloldGit
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree