Misaddress

First published in Letters by

IT KEEPS being brought to my attention that some people are still puzzled by the title Ms.

I did think there had been some success in convincing people that it is for an independently minded woman who prefers to not depend on a man for social recognition.

Just as there is no title for a married man, logic deems it appropriate to have a single title for a woman. However, some women prefer to show that they are dependent because they are afraid of being labelled a divorcee.

Ms is for the woman who chooses it, whereas the men have no choice.

SFR Roome (Ms) Heslington Court, School Lane, Heslington, York

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:33pm Wed 28 Nov 12

ColdAsChristmas says...

The problem is one of description. If a female has never married she is Miss and once she has married she becomes Mrs. What Mistress does is say guess.
Other non descriptive terms such as partner is another one of those non descriptive terms to replace Husband, Wife, boyfriend, girlfriend and fiance. It also leads to confusion with regards to a business and sporting relationships too.
Miss or Mrs and stop fouling up our language with non descriptive PC tripe imported from the USA.
The problem is one of description. If a female has never married she is Miss and once she has married she becomes Mrs. What Mistress does is say guess. Other non descriptive terms such as partner is another one of those non descriptive terms to replace Husband, Wife, boyfriend, girlfriend and fiance. It also leads to confusion with regards to a business and sporting relationships too. Miss or Mrs and stop fouling up our language with non descriptive PC tripe imported from the USA. ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Wed 28 Nov 12

Thisisnotasmile says...

"some women prefer to show that they are dependent because they are afraid of being labelled a divorcee"

Let me fix that for you...

"some women prefer to use the title "Mrs" because that is their title."

What a pointless letter.
"some women prefer to show that they are dependent because they are afraid of being labelled a divorcee" Let me fix that for you... "some women prefer to use the title "Mrs" because that is their title." What a pointless letter. Thisisnotasmile
  • Score: 0

2:14pm Wed 28 Nov 12

TheTruthHurts says...

I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss.
'
The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz!
I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz! TheTruthHurts
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Wed 28 Nov 12

cityforthepremier says...

I thought "Ms" is a Miss or a Mrs who has dried up?
I thought "Ms" is a Miss or a Mrs who has dried up? cityforthepremier
  • Score: 0

4:00pm Wed 28 Nov 12

LeftyLoony says...

TheTruthHurts wrote:
I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz!
You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl.
Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.
[quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz![/p][/quote]You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing. LeftyLoony
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Wed 28 Nov 12

jimmy120883 says...

LeftyLoony wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz!
You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.
a boy can be addressed as master until age eight, then is addressed only by his name with no title until he turns 18, when he takes on the title of Mr
[quote][p][bold]LeftyLoony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz![/p][/quote]You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.[/p][/quote]a boy can be addressed as master until age eight, then is addressed only by his name with no title until he turns 18, when he takes on the title of Mr jimmy120883
  • Score: 0

4:32pm Wed 28 Nov 12

TheTruthHurts says...

LeftyLoony wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote:
I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz!
You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl.
Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.
Its just an observation :-)
[quote][p][bold]LeftyLoony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz![/p][/quote]You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.[/p][/quote]Its just an observation :-) TheTruthHurts
  • Score: 0

6:30am Thu 29 Nov 12

capt spaulding says...

I bet Frankie Boyle or Chubby Brown would have an hilarious explanation for this description Ms nonsence.
I bet Frankie Boyle or Chubby Brown would have an hilarious explanation for this description Ms nonsence. capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

3:23pm Thu 29 Nov 12

LeftyLoony says...

jimmy120883 wrote:
LeftyLoony wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz!
You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.
a boy can be addressed as master until age eight, then is addressed only by his name with no title until he turns 18, when he takes on the title of Mr
What point are you trying to make? I said that men all go by the same title of Mr, so obviously I was talking about adult males and not small children. My point is that men are all addressed as Mr, whereas women who are unmarried (or assumed to be) are called Miss, as if they were little girls. It's infantilising and deeply disrespectful in my eyes.
[quote][p][bold]jimmy120883[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LeftyLoony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz![/p][/quote]You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.[/p][/quote]a boy can be addressed as master until age eight, then is addressed only by his name with no title until he turns 18, when he takes on the title of Mr[/p][/quote]What point are you trying to make? I said that men all go by the same title of Mr, so obviously I was talking about adult males and not small children. My point is that men are all addressed as Mr, whereas women who are unmarried (or assumed to be) are called Miss, as if they were little girls. It's infantilising and deeply disrespectful in my eyes. LeftyLoony
  • Score: 0

3:26pm Thu 29 Nov 12

LeftyLoony says...

TheTruthHurts wrote:
LeftyLoony wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz!
You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.
Its just an observation :-)
And I'm calling you out on BS. You claim that you like to try to be respectful by calling all men Sir and all women Miss (why not Madam?), but does it not occur to you that it would be more respectful to call people by whatever title they prefer to be called by? It's just a matter of courtesy.
[quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LeftyLoony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz![/p][/quote]You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.[/p][/quote]Its just an observation :-)[/p][/quote]And I'm calling you out on BS. You claim that you like to try to be respectful by calling all men Sir and all women Miss (why not Madam?), but does it not occur to you that it would be more respectful to call people by whatever title they prefer to be called by? It's just a matter of courtesy. LeftyLoony
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Thu 29 Nov 12

TheTruthHurts says...

LeftyLoony wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote:
LeftyLoony wrote:
TheTruthHurts wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz!
You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.
Its just an observation :-)
And I'm calling you out on BS. You claim that you like to try to be respectful by calling all men Sir and all women Miss (why not Madam?), but does it not occur to you that it would be more respectful to call people by whatever title they prefer to be called by? It's just a matter of courtesy.
I dont know about you but when i was at school we had to call every woman Miss. Its just stuck with me. As for Madam its just not something I've ever used? Though in fairness you maybe right.
'
As a real life example say i was on a bus with you and you got up to get off and left your bag on the seat, I would say 'excuse me miss, you have left something'. Is that really so disrespectful? Just by looking at a woman can you tell if they are a Miss, Mrs or Ms? I refer you to my earlier post
[quote][p][bold]LeftyLoony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LeftyLoony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: I try and be respectful to everyone i speak to and often call a Gentlemen sir and a lady miss. ' The only women who have corrected me have been hard faced old battle axes who spit mizzzzzz![/p][/quote]You don't think that referring to women as "hard faced battle axes" is at all disrespectful? Personally, I prefer the title Ms because I don't see why the hell I should have to go by the same title as that given to a 5 year old girl. Given that all men go by the title "Mr", and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of all the confusion caused by their title not describing their marital status, I can't see why the idea of a non-descriptive title for women should be so confusing.[/p][/quote]Its just an observation :-)[/p][/quote]And I'm calling you out on BS. You claim that you like to try to be respectful by calling all men Sir and all women Miss (why not Madam?), but does it not occur to you that it would be more respectful to call people by whatever title they prefer to be called by? It's just a matter of courtesy.[/p][/quote]I dont know about you but when i was at school we had to call every woman Miss. Its just stuck with me. As for Madam its just not something I've ever used? Though in fairness you maybe right. ' As a real life example say i was on a bus with you and you got up to get off and left your bag on the seat, I would say 'excuse me miss, you have left something'. Is that really so disrespectful? Just by looking at a woman can you tell if they are a Miss, Mrs or Ms? I refer you to my earlier post TheTruthHurts
  • Score: 0

5:04pm Thu 29 Nov 12

TheTruthHurts says...

But seriously in some situations like that above. The woman has still turned around and spat its Mizzzzzzzz!
'
Yeah whatever love lol
But seriously in some situations like that above. The woman has still turned around and spat its Mizzzzzzzz! ' Yeah whatever love lol TheTruthHurts
  • Score: 0

9:27pm Thu 29 Nov 12

ColdAsChristmas says...

Lefty, it is interesting that you don't want to be called Miss when I can think of married women who prefer it to Mrs. The current Thirsk and Malton MP for example whose married name is Mrs Harvey. The point is there is only one title to the man in the street while the female gets the choice of two. Not you lefty, you want a meaningless third that has little or no meaning.
Not good enough for you, then try a peerage or marry into Royalty?
Lefty, it is interesting that you don't want to be called Miss when I can think of married women who prefer it to Mrs. The current Thirsk and Malton MP for example whose married name is Mrs Harvey. The point is there is only one title to the man in the street while the female gets the choice of two. Not you lefty, you want a meaningless third that has little or no meaning. Not good enough for you, then try a peerage or marry into Royalty? ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

9:28pm Thu 29 Nov 12

ColdAsChristmas says...

Lefty, it is interesting that you don't want to be called Miss when I can think of married women who prefer it to Mrs. The current Thirsk and Malton MP for example whose married name is Mrs Harvey. The point is there is only one title to the man in the street while the female gets the choice of two. Not you lefty, you want a meaningless third that has little or no meaning.
Not good enough for you, then try a peerage or marry into Royalty?
Lefty, it is interesting that you don't want to be called Miss when I can think of married women who prefer it to Mrs. The current Thirsk and Malton MP for example whose married name is Mrs Harvey. The point is there is only one title to the man in the street while the female gets the choice of two. Not you lefty, you want a meaningless third that has little or no meaning. Not good enough for you, then try a peerage or marry into Royalty? ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

11:05am Fri 30 Nov 12

ColdAsChristmas says...

Lefty, have you thought of joining the
C of E? One day in the centuries to come you could be given the title of Bishop?
Lefty, have you thought of joining the C of E? One day in the centuries to come you could be given the title of Bishop? ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree