Missing the target

WHAT is it about targets that City of York Council does not understand?

They fail to achieve their housing targets, set unworkable affordable housing targets and, at their recent housing summit, they managed to miss their target audience.

I attended two events aimed at finding solutions to York’s housing shortage and to get housebuilders building.

The problem was that they didn’t seem to have invited any builders. Of the few present, several had to protest in order to be allowed to attend.

The largest event had 80 delegates, which included 38 council officers and seven councilors.

Only two firms building houses in York were represented. The main house-builders – Barratt, Persimmon and Taylor Wimpey – were not there.

It seemed to those who did attend that their numbers had been restricted so their views would be in the minority.

Until the council listens to housebuilders, York will not get the housing it needs.

Paul S Cordock, Durlston Drive, Strensall, York.

 

• FOR the council to claim on the one hand that we need 800 new homes in the city every year and then have to say new builds total only 294, to date of which 124 are student flats, is all we need to say about the affordable housing percentage having wrecked the housebuilding industry.

It must now be time to tackle the problem head-on or we will not see any new homes built.

While the politicians need an affordable housing percentage, it is only a pie-in-the-sky dream if no houses are being built as a result of it.

So why not keep the policy in place but suspend it for, say, 15 years because it will take the building industry some considerable time to get into gear again and produce meaningful results.

If the politicians at the end of that time feel the urge to reactivate their policy, it will give the builders enough notice to start shutting down the industry again.

It is just possible that the surrounding towns and villages are benefiting from York’s loss and building more housing for residents to commute to the city, which may be the actual reason that we are getting more Park & Ride sites around the city?

C L Spray, Trent Avenue, Huntington, York.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:28pm Wed 14 Nov 12

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

The Housing Summit and Get York Building events were stitched up by the same officers behind the affordable housing policy. These politicised left-wing officers, supported by Coun Merrett and Coun Simpson-Laing have wrecked housebuilding in York. It's clear what their agenda is - make the housing crisis in York as bad as they can. They do this in the hope that land prices will be driven down to support their social housing demands, or that compulsory powers for the snatching of land by councils will be allowed. This is an incidious plot with York being made to suffer in the meantime. Building firms and jobs have been lost, and York's economy has been seriously damaged.

Coun Alexander's new empty slogan - 'York Means Business' - has another meaning. The business his ruling Labour group and the Council are in, is dirty politics, aimed at controlling the housing market by strangling the life out of it, so they can blame the government.

Their game is being exposed because York's housing completions went into decline three to four years before most of the rest of the country, and they are still in decline where other areas are improving. The use of student accommodation to make their figures look better, is a red herring. This development was not subject to affordable housing requirements and brings in no council tax from the students who occupy them. This makes them illegitimate and they should not be counted.

It's time that Alexander's devious plot is exposed and the Boy Blunder made to answer for his actions, the consequences of which are not providing jobs and growth that he promised to deliver. Where are the houses you promised in your manidfesto, James ?
The Housing Summit and Get York Building events were stitched up by the same officers behind the affordable housing policy. These politicised left-wing officers, supported by Coun Merrett and Coun Simpson-Laing have wrecked housebuilding in York. It's clear what their agenda is - make the housing crisis in York as bad as they can. They do this in the hope that land prices will be driven down to support their social housing demands, or that compulsory powers for the snatching of land by councils will be allowed. This is an incidious plot with York being made to suffer in the meantime. Building firms and jobs have been lost, and York's economy has been seriously damaged. Coun Alexander's new empty slogan - 'York Means Business' - has another meaning. The business his ruling Labour group and the Council are in, is dirty politics, aimed at controlling the housing market by strangling the life out of it, so they can blame the government. Their game is being exposed because York's housing completions went into decline three to four years before most of the rest of the country, and they are still in decline where other areas are improving. The use of student accommodation to make their figures look better, is a red herring. This development was not subject to affordable housing requirements and brings in no council tax from the students who occupy them. This makes them illegitimate and they should not be counted. It's time that Alexander's devious plot is exposed and the Boy Blunder made to answer for his actions, the consequences of which are not providing jobs and growth that he promised to deliver. Where are the houses you promised in your manidfesto, James ? Scarlet Pimpernel

8:15pm Wed 14 Nov 12

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Mr Spray displays an insightful understanding of both the cause of York's under-supply problem, and what the solution is.

What a shame that the council's legions of highly paid officers and the councillors calling the shots and are responsible for the policies that did the damage, do not have the knowledge and judgement that Mr Spray displays. He has given them the answer for free, whereas they have cost York hundreds of millions with their negligent interference with a free market. It's time that the discrimination of private housbuilders stopped, and they are allowed to recover. Further delays in not rolling back punitive affordable (social) housing requirements will only make matters worse and ruin the lives of many !
Mr Spray displays an insightful understanding of both the cause of York's under-supply problem, and what the solution is. What a shame that the council's legions of highly paid officers and the councillors calling the shots and are responsible for the policies that did the damage, do not have the knowledge and judgement that Mr Spray displays. He has given them the answer for free, whereas they have cost York hundreds of millions with their negligent interference with a free market. It's time that the discrimination of private housbuilders stopped, and they are allowed to recover. Further delays in not rolling back punitive affordable (social) housing requirements will only make matters worse and ruin the lives of many ! Scarlet Pimpernel

9:16pm Wed 14 Nov 12

Buzz Light-year says...

Hey Smithers, mind you don't trip over your own hyperbole!
Hey Smithers, mind you don't trip over your own hyperbole! Buzz Light-year

1:14am Thu 15 Nov 12

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Buzz Light-year wrote:
Hey Smithers, mind you don't trip over your own hyperbole!
If anything, I have understated the extent of the mess, how serious the problem is, and the level of ineptitude and irresponsibility of the Council..

Instead of making wisecracks, you should deal in facts for a change, but, that would involve doing some research, which would not allow you to make misinformed jibes.

Ignorance is bliss...... for the ignorant !
[quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: Hey Smithers, mind you don't trip over your own hyperbole![/p][/quote]If anything, I have understated the extent of the mess, how serious the problem is, and the level of ineptitude and irresponsibility of the Council.. Instead of making wisecracks, you should deal in facts for a change, but, that would involve doing some research, which would not allow you to make misinformed jibes. Ignorance is bliss...... for the ignorant ! Scarlet Pimpernel

1:14am Thu 15 Nov 12

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Buzz Light-year wrote:
Hey Smithers, mind you don't trip over your own hyperbole!
If anything, I have understated the extent of the mess, how serious the problem is, and the level of ineptitude and irresponsibility of the Council..

Instead of making wisecracks, you should deal in facts for a change, but, that would involve doing some research, which would not allow you to make misinformed jibes.

Ignorance is bliss...... for the ignorant !
[quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: Hey Smithers, mind you don't trip over your own hyperbole![/p][/quote]If anything, I have understated the extent of the mess, how serious the problem is, and the level of ineptitude and irresponsibility of the Council.. Instead of making wisecracks, you should deal in facts for a change, but, that would involve doing some research, which would not allow you to make misinformed jibes. Ignorance is bliss...... for the ignorant ! Scarlet Pimpernel

1:20am Thu 15 Nov 12

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Using the actual housing completion trajectories of 15 Yorks & Humber region Councils, and applying these to York for the period 2004/05 to 2008/09, resulted in an increase (to York's economy) of between £181m to £1.4billion, averaging at around £600m for the five-year period.

Hardly hyperbole, when you consider the facts !
Using the actual housing completion trajectories of 15 Yorks & Humber region Councils, and applying these to York for the period 2004/05 to 2008/09, resulted in an increase (to York's economy) of between £181m to £1.4billion, averaging at around £600m for the five-year period. Hardly hyperbole, when you consider the facts ! Scarlet Pimpernel

9:05am Thu 15 Nov 12

perplexed says...

Scarlet Pimpernel appears to know his facts. His case however might have a little more impact with the rest of us if he toned down the vitreole.

We get the fact that he doesn't like CYC or James Alexander. We really do!
Scarlet Pimpernel appears to know his facts. His case however might have a little more impact with the rest of us if he toned down the vitreole. We get the fact that he doesn't like CYC or James Alexander. We really do! perplexed

12:05pm Thu 15 Nov 12

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

perplexed wrote:
Scarlet Pimpernel appears to know his facts. His case however might have a little more impact with the rest of us if he toned down the vitreole. We get the fact that he doesn't like CYC or James Alexander. We really do!
I disagree, perplexed.

It's all well and good attacking the policy, but, it is those behind the policy who are the cause of the problem.

Council officers and certain councillors are culpable, it's a fact - one that cannot and should not be overlooked !
[quote][p][bold]perplexed[/bold] wrote: Scarlet Pimpernel appears to know his facts. His case however might have a little more impact with the rest of us if he toned down the vitreole. We get the fact that he doesn't like CYC or James Alexander. We really do![/p][/quote]I disagree, perplexed. It's all well and good attacking the policy, but, it is those behind the policy who are the cause of the problem. Council officers and certain councillors are culpable, it's a fact - one that cannot and should not be overlooked ! Scarlet Pimpernel

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree