Café No8 in Gillygate plans conservatory extension in garden

Café No8 in Gillygate

Café No8 in Gillygate

First published in Business York Press: Photograph of the Author by , News editor

ONE of York’s best-loved food venues is planning to expand.

Café No8, in Gillygate, wants to build a conservatory extension in its garden, which backs on to the city’s Bar Walls.

The venue has won a number of awards in recent years.

But it has only seven indoor tables, and the owners say they need to increase capacity to remain viable.

Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.

Martin Gore, one of the staff at the café, said the overall capacity of the restaurant would remain roughly the same, but more of the tables could be used all year round.

He said: “We have seven tables inside at the moment and nine in the garden.

“We are hoping to have a conservatory built, which would mean another six tables covered. There would still be some garden space but altogether we would have a similar number of tables, just some more undercover.”

Café No8 won the best restaurant award at the York Tourism Awards in 2006.

It has also won praise from several other organisations and media, including being named runner-up by The Observer newspaper in its 2009 awards.

Meanwhile, Mr Gore said the current closure of Gillygate had not yet had any noticeable impact on business for Café No8.

He said business often fluctuated between half-term and Easter.

“In the evenings, it has been busier than usual,” he said.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:53am Tue 16 Mar 10

Robert Davro says...

"ONE of York’s best-loved food venues" - never heard of it!
"ONE of York’s best-loved food venues" - never heard of it! Robert Davro
  • Score: 0

9:05am Tue 16 Mar 10

Silver says...

Hope they get it love the food there always a nice treat shame I can't afford to go everyday
Hope they get it love the food there always a nice treat shame I can't afford to go everyday Silver
  • Score: 0

9:16am Tue 16 Mar 10

pedalling paul says...

I used to live above no 8 when it was flats in the early 1970's. The ground floor was Mr Vicker's tool shop and the back garden was a riotous jungle. But what a superb view I had of the Minster, just over the Walls.
I used to live above no 8 when it was flats in the early 1970's. The ground floor was Mr Vicker's tool shop and the back garden was a riotous jungle. But what a superb view I had of the Minster, just over the Walls. pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

9:47am Tue 16 Mar 10

AdmiralNN says...

Lovely food but the premises just dont suit it.
'
There is one decent table for four in the window but the rest of them are cramped and it just doesnt feel right. Also when the girl took our order she didnt write any of it down and i bet my mate a fiver the she would forget something... and she did.
'
Cant fault the food though, bloomiin lovely!
Lovely food but the premises just dont suit it. ' There is one decent table for four in the window but the rest of them are cramped and it just doesnt feel right. Also when the girl took our order she didnt write any of it down and i bet my mate a fiver the she would forget something... and she did. ' Cant fault the food though, bloomiin lovely! AdmiralNN
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Tue 16 Mar 10

Garrowby Turnoff says...

Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.
Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets!
[quote]Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.[/quote]Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets! Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Tue 16 Mar 10

pedalling paul says...

Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.
Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets!
I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman
[quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote]Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.[/quote]Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets![/p][/quote]I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

5:18pm Tue 16 Mar 10

Frodo Baggins says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.
Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets!
I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman
Leave your councillors hat off Paul or better still, run over it with your bike.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote]Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.[/quote]Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets![/p][/quote]I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman[/p][/quote]Leave your councillors hat off Paul or better still, run over it with your bike. Frodo Baggins
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Tue 16 Mar 10

pedalling paul says...

Frodo Baggins wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.
Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets!
I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman
Leave your councillors hat off Paul or better still, run over it with your bike.
I'm not a Councillor....
[quote][p][bold]Frodo Baggins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote]Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.[/quote]Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets![/p][/quote]I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman[/p][/quote]Leave your councillors hat off Paul or better still, run over it with your bike.[/p][/quote]I'm not a Councillor.... pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

9:09pm Tue 16 Mar 10

Chumpy says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Frodo Baggins wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.
Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets!
I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman
Leave your councillors hat off Paul or better still, run over it with your bike.
I'm not a Councillor....
No quite right, we have already established your a tw@t!
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Frodo Baggins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote]Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.[/quote]Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets![/p][/quote]I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman[/p][/quote]Leave your councillors hat off Paul or better still, run over it with your bike.[/p][/quote]I'm not a Councillor....[/p][/quote]No quite right, we have already established your a tw@t! Chumpy
  • Score: 0

10:32pm Tue 16 Mar 10

Garrowby Turnoff says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.
Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets!
I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman
Pish tush Paul! Have you forgotten we live in an era where Politicians, the Royal Family, Bankers, Policemen, Priests and even Tiger Woods have been uncovered as cheating, corrupt and selfish. How you've the nerve to utter such brown nosed comments on a subject that affects everyone’s fair dealings is puerile.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote]Their previous expansion plans were rejected by City of York Council, which said the extension would be too intrusive, but the proposals have now been redrawn and resubmitted.[/quote]Good Luck! Don't forget the CoYC planning department officers may have relatives in the neighbourhood who also have food retail outlets![/p][/quote]I don't think it is very helpful to publicly accuse Local Authority Planning Officers of unprofessional conduct. If you have a genuine concern, you can take it initially to the Chief Executive and if still dissatisfied, to the Ombudsman[/p][/quote]Pish tush Paul! Have you forgotten we live in an era where Politicians, the Royal Family, Bankers, Policemen, Priests and even Tiger Woods have been uncovered as cheating, corrupt and selfish. How you've the nerve to utter such brown nosed comments on a subject that affects everyone’s fair dealings is puerile. Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree