YORK City signed off their pre-season programme with an encouraging 2-0 victory over Sheffield United at Bootham Crescent.

Ryan Jarvis grabbed both goals to ensure the Minstermen go to Tranmere for their Skybet League Two opener next Saturday in the best possible heart.

With Jake Hyde and Femi Ilesanmi having picked up ankles knocks in the Nottingham Forest game in midweek, manager Nigel Worthington left them out of his squad entirely, bringing in goalkeeper Michael Ingham, Dave Winfield to partner Keith Lowe in defence and Cameron Murray.

The best chances of the opening 45 minutes fell to defenders – Lowe forcing an acrobatic save out of Mark Howard on 21 minutes after meeting Russell Penn’s floated free kick with a bullet header at the far post.

And Blades skipper Chris Basham was shaking his head in disbelief after nodding past the far post on 32 minutes when found in stride by Craig Alcock’s cross from the right.

The Minstermen took the lead ten minutes into the second half with a goal credited to Jarvis.

Meike's corner from the right glanced off the head of Winfield and following some pinball in the box, the ball rebounded off Neil Collins to the former Torquay striker.

The former Torquay striker’s first goalbound attempt, shot after a superb piece of control, was blocked on the line but he got the ball past Howard at the second time of asking after his header deflected off Collins.

It was almost certainly an own goal, but was given to the City striker.

Daniel Parslow, making his return from a cruciate ligament injury last November, came on with a raft of City substitutes at the hour mark and dropped in at right back.

Jarvis could have had a second shortly after but his weak shot at the far post fell harmlessly to Howard.

But he did grab another on 67 minutes. United gave away possession cheaply and the City striker was left running at the defence.

He played in a fast supporting Meikle on his right and the summer signing could have shot but, instead, took a touch and played it back inside to the centre of the penalty area, where Jarvis dispatched his shot into the roof of the net.