HEWORTH edged out South Cave & Brantingham in the first round of the HPH Cup after the sides finished with level scores at the Bull Field.

They went into the second round by virtue of losing less wickets after the sides scored 152 each.

Batting first, Heworth lost their first three wickets for just one run and were still in deep trouble at 55-6. However, Pete Fairburn and Greg Sykes pushed the score up to 129 before Fairburn was bowled for 40. Sykes finished unbeaten on 59 as Heworth took tea on 152-7.

Oliver Pierce (69no) led the run chase and Cave entered the final over needing nine to win with seven wickets down. Skipper Tony Scotter hit a huge six to bring the scores level but in trying to repeat the feat hit the last delivery of the match to short mid-on and was run out.

There were runs galore at Kelfield where the home side were beaten by six runs by Clifton Alliance. Ali Wray (63), Lewis Clark (44no) and Richard Marshall (40) provided the backbone for Clifton’s imposing 227-5. Kelfield made a brave fist of it with Matt Walker (40) and Andy Charlton (31) leading the way, but Wray’s 6-62 proved the key bowling performance.

At 101-2 North Duffield looked on course for a challenging total against Melbourne but lost four wickets for the addition for only one run, eventually having to settle for 126-8 at the close. Brian Underwood undermined the Duffield innings with 5-30.

Duffield didn’t have many runs to play with but James Knibb (5-23) ripped out the top half of the Melbourne line-up and John Patrick mopped up the rest with figures of 3.4-0-13-5 as Melbourne were skittled for 89.

Hirst Courtney pulled off a surprise by beating Stockton & Hopgrove by 40 runs. Phil Alford who held the Hirst innings together with 62 to get his side to 153-7 at tea. Tom Williams (30) and Jamie Kerrison (28) had Stockton in good order but once they had gone Stockton slid to 113 all out, Alford taking 4-29.

Heworth II wrapped up their Scothern Construction Cup first round 10-wicket win against Stockton & Hopgrove II in just 25.5 overs.

Ten-man Stockton were routed for just 32 as six batsmen failed to trouble the scorers. Danny Wilstrop (3-5) and Stuart Ross (3-18) did most of the damage with Jamie Ross and Steve Sissons getting a wicket each and a run out accounting for the other wicket to fall.

Wheldrake were soon regretting the decision to bat first against Dunnington as Martin Lambert dragged a wide delivery from Sam Gray (5-37) on to his stumps. Wheldrake only managed 120-9 and Dunnington openers Josh Salter (51) and Haydn Bradley (35no) were virtually untroubled as they led their side towards their target.

Tadcaster Magnet’s 159-9 proved too much for Ovington III who struggled against Adam Gibson (4-37) and were all out for 112.

The draws for the next rounds are:


Round 2

Ovington v Burn

Hirst Courtney v North Duffield

Heworth v Clifton Alliance

Askham Bryan or Thixendale v Bishopthorpe or Selby

To be played on Sunday, June 22

Guy Mitchell Cup

Preliminary round

Selby or Bishopthorpe v Askham Bryan or Thixendale

Date to be arranged

Round 1

Stockton & Hopgrove v Ben Johnson

North Cave v South Cave

Stillingfleet v Selby or Bishopthorpe or Askham Bryan or Thixendale

Kelfield v Melbourne

To be played on Saturday, June 21

Scothern Constrution Cup

Hemingbrough or Ovington II v Tadcaster Magnet

Yapham v Heworth II

Acomb or Selby II v Dunnington

Bishopthorpe ll or Thorp Arch & Boston Spa v Thorpe Willoughby

To be played on Sunday, June 22

Prendergast Memorial Trophy

Askham Bryan II - bye

Hemingbrough or Ovington II v Stockton & Hopgrove II

Acomb or Selby II v Wheldrake

Bishopthorpe II or Thorp Arch & Boston Spa v Ovington III

To be played on Sunday, June 29