A SIX from skipper Daniel Woods off the penultimate ball of the match earned York a thrilling victory at Castleford in the Solly Sports Yorkshire ECB County Premier Cricket League.

Champions York looked to be in control of the Savile Park clash until a middle order collapse ensured a nerve-jangling finish against a determined Castleford side.

It looked as though the game would be a one-sided affair as the hosts slumped to 12-3 inside four overs having chosen to bat first.

Ben Coad had Dominic Sharp caught by keeper Liam McKendry in the first over and, after Matt Hodsdon trapped Matthew Simpson lbw, the same pairing accounted for Will Simpson.

Opener Charles Finan forged a recovery with the help of Liam Hyde, adding 79 for the fourth wicket, but having reached 48 was out to an excellently judged catch by Simon Lambert over his shoulder running back at extra cover off the bowling of Jack Leaning.

Hyde followed for 44 when he played back to a ball from Leaning and was adjudged lbw.

At 103-5 and with two new batsmen at the crease, the visitors had the opportunity to seize the initiative, but Castleford skipper John Randerson proved a thorn in their side.

His innings of 44 spanned 28 overs, during which time the visitors managed only the wicket of Alex Romaniw, lbw to Woods for 11.

Woods eventually got his opposite number when Randerson dragged an attempted sweep onto his stumps, bring to an end a 53-run partnership with Ben Shelton.

With only five overs remaining, any hope York had of bowling out their opposition had gone.

Tom Pringle picked up the final wicket to fall, Shelton stumped for 32, but York were left to ponder what might have been given such a promising opening.

Chasing 214 for victory, York were given an excellent platform as Lambert and Leaning combined for their third consecutive century opening stand, posting 104 from 26 overs.

Lambert had just reached a half-century but was undone by the two-paced nature of the wicket, pushing a catch back to spinner Jack Shutt.

Leaning looked assured in reaching 50 off 88 balls, but he fell in similar fashion to Lambert, Liam Hyde the catcher at short cover.

With the score at that stage 133-2, the visitors were still on track but that all changed when they lost four wickets in the space of five overs.

Romaniw returned for a second spell, picking up three of the wickets to fall and Hyde chipped in, dismissing Liam McKendry for 23.

That left the visitors still needing 60 from 15 overs.

Much then would depend on Nick Kay, and the York stalwart needed to draw on all his experience if the side were to get home.

Assisted by Pringle and Coad, he kept the visitors in touch with the required rate but when Shutt picked up a catch inches from the ground of his own bowling to dismiss Coad, 29 were required from 29 balls.

With rain beginning to fall adding to the drama, the balance ebbed and flowed until back-to-back boundaries from Woods off Shutt gave the batting side a little breathing space.

Kay took three off the first four balls of the final over, and would finish unbeaten on 27, which left Woods needing two for victory and his straight drive just over the leaping fielder at long-on clinched a memorable victory.