A BID to find 100 apprenticeship placements in York in 100 days has finished with the target being surpassed by more than 50 per cent.

The York Apprentice Challenge resulted in 160 pledges being made by 104 business in and around the city.

Pledges from the campaign came from a variety of sectors and will offer young people opportunities in areas including; engineering, marketing, business administration, hairdressing and more.

The 2014 challenge, which was led by City of York Council with training providers, not only surpassed its target but saw an increase in business involvement compared to the last time it was staged in 2011, when 80 businesses participated.

In 2011 199 pledge we received, however only 55 per cent of those were new apprenticeship vacancies, with the remaining 45 per cent being in-work training.

All of the 160 pledges this year were for new apprenticeship vacancies.

Cllr James Alexander, Leader of City of York Council said: “This campaign has proved a huge success in both raising awareness and creating opportunities for young people.

"It is important that we as a city constantly strive for jobs and growth and I would like to thank businesses for their support of the campaign."

Some of the companies who have pledged to create apprenticeships will be present at an apprenticeship recruitment event on July 1 to showcase their vacancies.

The free event, hosted by City of York Council, will take place at the Hilton Hotel from 4.30pm to 7.30pm.