York sex attack investigation closed

York Press: The scene in North Street last month. Police have closed the investigation The scene in North Street last month. Police have closed the investigation

TWO men arrested in connection with an alleged sexual assault in York have been released without charge.

The York men, aged 24 and 26, were arrested after an incident in North Street Gardens, alongside the River Ouse near Lendal Bridge, York, in the early hours of April 30.

The gardens were cordoned off and guarded by police all day afterwards, and North Yorkshire Police said then that the 'victim,' a 20-year-old woman, was continuing to receive support from specially trained police officers.

But a force spokeswoman said yesterday that after a 'thorough and extensive investigation' into an alleged sexual assault, the arrested men had been released from police bail without charge.

"No complaint was forthcoming from any victim in this case." she said.

“However, we would seek to reassure members of the public that all reports of sexual assault will be investigated thoroughly and victims should not hesitate to contact the police if they have been a victim of sexual assault .

"If you prefer not to report to the police, you can access support, advice and help from Bridge House - North Yorkshire’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) by calling 01904 669339 or visiting www.turntobridgehouse.org."

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree