Barlby residents feel ‘besieged’ by homes developments

MEETING POINT: Residents in Barlby at a protest meeting about new developments in the village. Picture: Eric Foster

MEETING POINT: Residents in Barlby at a protest meeting about new developments in the village. Picture: Eric Foster

First published in News
Last updated

RESIDENTS have claimed they feel besieged by new developments planned for a Selby village.

Selby District Council's planning committee voted narrowly in favour of the demolition of the Bay Horse in Barlby last week, despite hundreds of people signing a petition to save it, including local football, pool and darts teams.

Further plans are currently under consideration by the council for the creation of 37 new homes on land close to The Laurels, off York Road, Barlby and adjacent to the Bay Horse site, with objections already logged on the council's website stating concerns over road safety and increased strain on local amenities.

A report submitted with the plans suggests the site - currently unused land close to 23 homes in The Laurels - "could be developed to provide a mix of resident units including 2, 3 and 4 bedroom accommodation provided as terraces, semi-detached and detached units", along with an open space at the centre of the development.

Developers Daniel Gath Homes Ltd have offered 40 per cent of the potential development - about 15 homes - as affordable housing, which would be "peppered" throughout the site.

But the development has led to residents organising a meeting to discuss a mass objection to the plans.

Anna Greenwood is one of the residents opposing the scheme, and said: "It would involve removing the end of a narrow, small, child-friendly cul de sac to be used by construction traffic and ultimately new residents.

"The approval of the pub development has set some tongues wagging that The Laurels development could also be given the green light, a sort of 'development osmosis' affect, even though it is outside of the development line. Overall, Barlby residents feel under developer attack with the huge Olympia Park development at the bottom of the village and the proposed David Wilson development at the top of the village, these additional infill developments are unnecessary and unwanted."

A decision on the plans is due in July.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:17pm Mon 19 May 14

baldiebiker says...

We need more houses but just not in my erm.................
...........
We need more houses but just not in my erm................. ........... baldiebiker
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree