Village hall damaged in fire
3:51pm Saturday 29th March 2014 in News
A VILLAGE hall near York has been damaged by a fire which broke out this morning.
Heat from an electric heater led to a chair catching fire in Helperby Village Hall, near Easingwold, at about 8.15am. The bar and entrance area of the building have been smoke-damaged, although North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the damage is "moderate".
Fire crews from Boroughbridge and Easingwold were called in after reports the hall had filled with smoke, with firefighters from Ripon and Thirsk also drafted in later. The fire was put out by about 9.10am and nobody is believed to have been injured.