Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Teen troublemaker banned from Selby Sainsbury’s store
10:28am Wednesday 19th February 2014 in News
A teenage yob has been banned from a supermarket for plaguing customers and staff with abusive and intimidating behaviour.
Other youths have also been barred from Sainsbury’s in Abbey Walk, Selby, after rising concern over their conduct.
North Yorkshire police said complaints from the store have seen a dramatic reduction after a harassment restraining order was issued to the 18-year-old ring-leader of the group, a number of whom were also issued with police banning notices.
Earlier this month the ring leader appeared at York Youth Court and after pleading guilty to using threatening words and behaviour, he was issued with the six-month restraining order.
He was also fined £50, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £15 and costs of £85.
Sergeant Jackie Booth of Selby Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “It is unacceptable for local people to be intimidated when going about their daily lives and for shop workers who try to intervene to be abused for doing so.”