Inquest into tragic death of Lisette Dugmore
Updated 8:31am Wednesday 19th February 2014 in News
A York family’s five-year wait to learn what happened to their loved one will end today when an inquest is held into her tragic death.
York Coroner Donald Coverdale will attempt to piece together what happened to Lisette Dugmore, who vanished in July, 2008.
It is more than a year since the search for the missing woman ended in tragedy when her remains were found submerged in mud next to the Ouse at Acaster Malbis, following flooding of the river on Sunday, January 13, 2013.
An inquest was opened and adjourned in February last year following the discovery by walkers.
It has been made clear by police there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.
Lisette was aged 36 when she was first reported missing.
She was last seen alive on the evening of July 6 in the Bootham area of York.
No trace of her was ever found despite a painstaking and high-profile police investigation.
Det Insp Adrian Gathercole, of York CID, who led the missing person investigation, said at the time: “This is not the outcome anybody wanted, but we hope that Lisette’s loved ones will take some comfort from being able to lay her to rest and remember happier times.”
Speaking on behalf of the family, Lisette’s sister, Dion Smith, said when the body was found: “The last four and a half years have been unbearable. Not knowing what had happened to Lisette has had a profound effect on us all.
“Even now, it is very difficult to believe that we won’t be able to see or speak to Lisette again.
“We never gave up hope that she would be found safe and well. We are utterly heartbroken.”
The inquest will take place at The Folk Hall, New Earswick.
No witnesses will attend and all evidence will be given through written statements.