A MOTORIST who seriously injured two people in a York crash could be jailed after he admitted dangerous driving.
Gary Precious was driving a Ford Fiesta in Tang Hall Lane on July 28 last year when he crashed into a Peugeot 206.
A 28-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman involved in the collision were treated at York Hospital for serious injuries.
Precious, 27, of Rockingham Avenue, York, who is one of the first few people in the country to be prosecuted under a recently introduced law, appeared before York Crown Court charged with two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving in Tang Hall Lane, York.
He pleaded guilty to both charges.
Precious’s barrister, Nigel Edwards, requested the case be adjourned to allow pre-sentence reports to be prepared before his client was sentenced.
The charge was introduced by the Crown Prosecution Service just over a year ago.
Guidelines said the new powers would give the courts more opportunities “to target their powers at the most serious and damaging end of the spectrum of dangerous driving incidents”.
Under the new law, convicted offenders could face a maximum of five years in prison, which the CPS said would “reflect the more serious consequences of a driver’s actions”.
The aims and outcomes for the policy state: “It is intended that victims who face life-changing injuries as a result of dangerous driving, their families, and society will feel better served by the level of punishment delivered by the criminal justice system.”
Judge Shaun Spencer QC disqualified Precious from driving immediately following his guilty pleas.
Precious was released on conditional bail, and will be sentenced on February 27.