Backing for retirement complex on former Copmanthorpe pub site

Backing for retirement complex on former York pub site

Backing for retirement complex on former York pub site

First published in News York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Political Reporter

PLANS for a retirement complex on the site of a former York pub could move forward next week after councillors were advised to back the scheme.

Retirement living developer McCarthy & Stone wants to build 28 “later living” apartments on the Copmanthorpe site where the Fox & Hounds pub once stood. Its proposals will be debated by a City of York Council planning committee on Thursday.

The authority’s planning officials have said they should be given the all-clear to approve the scheme once an agreement over open space, transport and a cash contribution towards affordable housing elsewhere, as none would be provided at the Top Lane site.

Copmanthorpe Parish Council has claimed the development would be “alien” to the area because of its size and design, while seven residents have also objected. But the council has been sent 34 letters of support.

The site is owned by CFK Developments and will be transferred to McCarthy & Stone if the plans are approved. The pub closed in 2011 after 150 years, despite campaigners calling for it to be saved. The council had previously given permission for 11 homes to be built there.

The same meeting will also discuss plans by Shepherd Homes Ltd and the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institute (RMBI) to build 14 homes in the grounds of Connaught Court care home, on St Oswald’s Road in Fulford, the scene of a long-running planning wrangle.

The applicants want to use two parcels of land, including a bowling green, for detached four, five and six-bedroom houses, with the RMBI saying developing part of the site will allow more funding for refurbishment and rebuilding schemes.

Objections have been raised by Fulford Parish Council and the Fulford Friends group, who say it will harm local conservation areas and a “community asset” – the bowling green – will be lost, although more than £19,000 will be provided for new bowls facilities at Scarcroft Green.

The council rejected plans for housing and extra-care facilities at Connaught Court in 2007 and a subsequent appeal was dismissed.

Recommending the new application for approval, a report by planning official Kevin O’Connell said: “The proposals respect the character of the two affected conservation areas, in particular the parkland setting of the Connaught Court site.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:02am Fri 31 Jan 14

tonyfromitaly says...

Handy for the A64 ! Roll out of bed and you will be on the Westbound carriageway. 24 hr Traffic noise ? I wouldnt wish that on Mathew Laverack.
Handy for the A64 ! Roll out of bed and you will be on the Westbound carriageway. 24 hr Traffic noise ? I wouldnt wish that on Mathew Laverack. tonyfromitaly
  • Score: 8

9:20am Fri 31 Jan 14

coplass says...

I've just been looking over the application for the fox and hounds. There are some excellent objections made on the issue of parking - which is clearing inadequate in its provision. However, the support comments look as if they are mostly on postcards, which I suspect were given out at one of the 'consultation' events - and I wonder if the people completing them knew they would be submitted to the council?
I've just been looking over the application for the fox and hounds. There are some excellent objections made on the issue of parking - which is clearing inadequate in its provision. However, the support comments look as if they are mostly on postcards, which I suspect were given out at one of the 'consultation' events - and I wonder if the people completing them knew they would be submitted to the council? coplass
  • Score: 6

12:03pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Archiebold the 1st says...

hope this doesn't mean they will all join pike hills... getting a round in, in a decent time is hard enough.
hope this doesn't mean they will all join pike hills... getting a round in, in a decent time is hard enough. Archiebold the 1st
  • Score: -4

2:46pm Fri 31 Jan 14

gwen4me says...

Poor old Archiebold. Pike hills will be packed with untidy pensioners all conspiring to stop him enjoying his game.
Poor old Archiebold. Pike hills will be packed with untidy pensioners all conspiring to stop him enjoying his game. gwen4me
  • Score: -3

2:49pm Fri 31 Jan 14

tonyfromitaly says...

19th hole with derby and joan...........bring on the bingo.
19th hole with derby and joan...........bring on the bingo. tonyfromitaly
  • Score: 0

2:50pm Fri 31 Jan 14

tonyfromitaly says...

Oh and the plans include a footbridge wide enough for electric buggys
Oh and the plans include a footbridge wide enough for electric buggys tonyfromitaly
  • Score: -2

3:38pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Blythespirit says...

What a horrible place to put your Granny... right next to the A64... just hope Granny's a bit hard of hearing!
What a horrible place to put your Granny... right next to the A64... just hope Granny's a bit hard of hearing! Blythespirit
  • Score: 4

3:55pm Fri 31 Jan 14

YorkPatrol says...

gwen4me wrote:
Poor old Archiebold. Pike hills will be packed with untidy pensioners all conspiring to stop him enjoying his game.
Most of pike hills' current members smell of pee so a few more from the new old peoples home should'nt make a differnce
[quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: Poor old Archiebold. Pike hills will be packed with untidy pensioners all conspiring to stop him enjoying his game.[/p][/quote]Most of pike hills' current members smell of pee so a few more from the new old peoples home should'nt make a differnce YorkPatrol
  • Score: -1

4:47pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Rocking Horse says...

tonyfromitaly wrote:
Handy for the A64 ! Roll out of bed and you will be on the Westbound carriageway. 24 hr Traffic noise ? I wouldnt wish that on Mathew Laverack.
Think you will find that Mr Laverack is on the same side as you, judging from your jousting with the man from 'infinity and beyond' !!!!
[quote][p][bold]tonyfromitaly[/bold] wrote: Handy for the A64 ! Roll out of bed and you will be on the Westbound carriageway. 24 hr Traffic noise ? I wouldnt wish that on Mathew Laverack.[/p][/quote]Think you will find that Mr Laverack is on the same side as you, judging from your jousting with the man from 'infinity and beyond' !!!! Rocking Horse
  • Score: -40

11:56am Sat 1 Feb 14

Mr. Marcus says...

The "later living" accommodation will be shoe boxes!
It will be living in a shoe box next to a busy road, the A64.
The "later living" accommodation will be shoe boxes! It will be living in a shoe box next to a busy road, the A64. Mr. Marcus
  • Score: 0

11:59am Sat 1 Feb 14

Mr. Marcus says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
gwen4me wrote:
Poor old Archiebold. Pike hills will be packed with untidy pensioners all conspiring to stop him enjoying his game.
Most of pike hills' current members smell of pee so a few more from the new old peoples home should'nt make a differnce
You must mean you, York Patrol.
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: Poor old Archiebold. Pike hills will be packed with untidy pensioners all conspiring to stop him enjoying his game.[/p][/quote]Most of pike hills' current members smell of pee so a few more from the new old peoples home should'nt make a differnce[/p][/quote]You must mean you, York Patrol. Mr. Marcus
  • Score: 0

5:37pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Whistlejacket says...

Mr. Marcus wrote:
The "later living" accommodation will be shoe boxes!
It will be living in a shoe box next to a busy road, the A64.
A shoe box? We used to dream of a shoe box!
We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

But we were happy!
[quote][p][bold]Mr. Marcus[/bold] wrote: The "later living" accommodation will be shoe boxes! It will be living in a shoe box next to a busy road, the A64.[/p][/quote]A shoe box? We used to dream of a shoe box! We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt! But we were happy! Whistlejacket
  • Score: 1

6:56pm Sat 1 Feb 14

tonyfromitaly says...

Whistlejacket wrote:
Mr. Marcus wrote:
The "later living" accommodation will be shoe boxes!
It will be living in a shoe box next to a busy road, the A64.
A shoe box? We used to dream of a shoe box!
We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

But we were happy!
Favouritism ....................
.you were lucky.
[quote][p][bold]Whistlejacket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr. Marcus[/bold] wrote: The "later living" accommodation will be shoe boxes! It will be living in a shoe box next to a busy road, the A64.[/p][/quote]A shoe box? We used to dream of a shoe box! We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt! But we were happy![/p][/quote]Favouritism .................... .you were lucky. tonyfromitaly
  • Score: 1

11:10pm Sat 1 Feb 14

tonyfromitaly says...

Rocking Horse wrote:
tonyfromitaly wrote:
Handy for the A64 ! Roll out of bed and you will be on the Westbound carriageway. 24 hr Traffic noise ? I wouldnt wish that on Mathew Laverack.
Think you will find that Mr Laverack is on the same side as you, judging from your jousting with the man from 'infinity and beyond' !!!!
I am on nobodies side and especially not the parish lot. I just get tired of reading drivel from beyond and infinity.
[quote][p][bold]Rocking Horse[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tonyfromitaly[/bold] wrote: Handy for the A64 ! Roll out of bed and you will be on the Westbound carriageway. 24 hr Traffic noise ? I wouldnt wish that on Mathew Laverack.[/p][/quote]Think you will find that Mr Laverack is on the same side as you, judging from your jousting with the man from 'infinity and beyond' !!!![/p][/quote]I am on nobodies side and especially not the parish lot. I just get tired of reading drivel from beyond and infinity. tonyfromitaly
  • Score: -19

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree