Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Debate pledge over £1.4bn Allerton incinerator plan
9:29am Wednesday 2nd October 2013 in News
COUNCILLORS have pledged to hold a wide-ranging debate over a controversial £1.4 billion waste incinerator scheme between York and Knaresborough after agreeing to press ahead with the project.
North Yorkshire County Council was contractually required to reconsider the Allerton Waste Recovery Park as almost two years has passed since a planning application for the plant was submitted by AmeyCespa, the firm which would operate it. The authority was told scrapping the scheme would cost it and its partner, City of York Council, £3 million.
The county council’s executive heard the project had been delayed by “extensive work” on the planning application and numerous legal challenges, and if campaigners succeed in their appeal against a court decision not to hold a judicial review into the granting of planning permission for the incinerator, AmeyCespa would be due £5 million compensation from the two councils.
Councillors Carl Les and Arthur Barker said a “comprehensive debate” must be held if the scheme clears all legal hurdles,
Comments are closed on this article.