Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Teen arrested and bailed after York street attack
THE victim of an unprovoked York street attack remains in intensive care and an 18-year-old man has been released on bail after being arrested over the assault.
Anthony Lansbury, 51, was found with a serious head injury in Melrosegate at 1am on Thursday, and is still in intensive care at Hull Royal Infirmary, following a number of operations to release pressure on his brain and remove a blood clot.
Kim Farrar, Mr Lansbury’s sister, said her brother was yesterday taken off his ventilator, and was being allowed to wake up from his coma naturally, but doctors still did not know the extent of his injuries and he was expected to remain in hospital for some weeks.
Mrs Farrar said: “They said he’ll definitely have some sort of brain damage but they won’t know until he wakes up properly.
“Doctors said he’s out of critical condition now, they say he’s out of the woods, which is fantastic. It will take him a few days to come round and he will go upstairs to another ward but he’s still in intensive care for the moment.”
Mr Lansbury was attacked in Melrosegate between the Tang Hall Working Men’s Club and Freshways. He is believed to have been punched, before falling and hitting his head on the road as he fell. Paramedics were called, and hospital staff notified North Yorkshire Police at 6am, who checked CCTV in the area and launched a manhunt to find his attacker.
Yesterday, police said they had arrested the 18-year-old local man in connection with the assault. The force said this morning that he had been released on bail as the investigation continues and detectives are continuing to appeal for witnesses, who should phone York CID on 101, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
A police spokesman said they were not currently linking the attack to any others.